Connect with us

News

Military Dismisses Reports Of ISIS Members Spotted In Oyo State

Published

on

Military Dismisses Reports Of ISIS Members Spotted In Oyo State Pointloaded

The Nigerian Army has dismissed reports that ISIS fighters have been spotted in the Oke-Ogun area of Oyo State.

Gani Adams, the Aare Ona Kakanfo-in-Council, in a statement released after an extraordinary meeting of the council recently, claimed suspected ISIS terrorists were now in Oke-Ogun, Oyo State.

“Indeed, the intel also reveals that about 500 power-bikes and assorted ammunition belonging to the terrorists have been sighted along the abandoned Lusada route moving towards Sokoto, from Igbo-Ora in Oyo State,” he claimed

Reacting to Gani’s claim, the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche said it is nothing but just an alarm and that the Nigerian security agencies were equal to the task, and would not handle it with kid gloves.

Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Thursday, August 27, Enenche said

“From the report I have, it is just that one where the U.S. AFRICOM advised and cautioned us about, so I believe that is what people are magnifying. But I can tell you that we have put machinery in place together with other security agencies.

So, we should be careful, because we get such stories everyday, which may be fake, though it could be true, but we don’t overlook such things.

My response is that it is not new and if it is new, tell the public that we have every machinery in place together with other security agencies as usual to handle it with their cooperation.”

Share this post

Rakib Idris is a scientist, blogger, entrepreneur, web designer, socioeconomic and political commentator. He loves writing quality contents for readers and presenting to them happenings around the world promptly as they occur. Thank you for visiting pointloaded.com , •••• For Advert Placement Call/WhatsApp: 09054011337 or send an E-mail to info@pointloaded.com

News

Benue Crisis: Expose Those Who Killed Soldiers, Return Army Weapons – Ortom Urges Communities

Published

on

Benue Crisis: Expose Those Who Killed Soldiers, Return Army Weapons – Ortom Urges Communities Pointloaded

The Benue State Government has urged community leaders to expose those who carried out an unprovoked attack on Nigerian Army troops, leading to the death of an officer and 10 other soldiers.

In a statement on Friday, Governor Ortom while addressing the recent crisis between communities in Konshisha and Oju Local Government Areas, called for restraint on all sides including the military.

Ortom noted in his communique that he has already directed leaders of the affected areas to ensure that the weapons the “bandits” took away from the military personnel deployed to bring peace between the warring communities are returned without delay.

Earlier on, the army had reported that its troops came under attack while on a routine operational task, it was not clear who the attackers were at the time.

The military however asserted that the troops comprising one officer and ten soldiers were initially declared missing which prompted the deployment of a joint search and rescue team comprising NA troops and personnel of Operation Whirl Stroke.

The search and rescue team, unfortunately, found all the missing troops dead in Konshisha LGA of Benue State. While the bodies of the slain troops were evacuated immediately.

According to the army, efforts were still ongoing to track down the perpetrators of the heinous crime with a view to bringing them to justice.

In his reaction, Governor Ortom urged members of the affected communities to expose perpetrators of the unprovoked attacks on the military, stating that such an act is condemnable and also capable of jeopardizing the efforts Government has made to guarantee the return of peace to the area.

The governor disclosed that in an effort to find a solution to the crisis, he set up a Boundary Committee headed by the Deputy Governor, Engineer Benson Abounu to resolve the land dispute in collaboration with the National Boundary Commission.

The Committee had fixed a date for the demarcation of the area in contention when renewed violence broke out between the Bonta Community of Konshisha Local Government Area and Okpute Community of Oju Local Government Area.

Ortom assured the people that his administration is determined to see the end of the crisis and will support security agencies to fish out those fomenting trouble.

He, however, urged the military to avoid civilian casualties and protect law abiding people while efforts are on to recover their missing weapons.

Share this post
Continue Reading

News

Queen Elizabeth II’s Husband Prince Philip Dies At 99

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth II’s Husband Prince Philip Dies At 99 Pointloaded

Queen Elizabeth II’s husband Prince Philip has died at age 99, according to a statement by Buckingham Palace.

Prince Philip was the longest-serving royal consort in British history after getting married to Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen.

The Palace announced the death of the late monarch via its official Twitter handle on Friday afternoon, April 9, 2021.

“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” it said in a statement.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

“The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

The palace added that further announcements would be made “in due course”.

Fears over the health of the Duke of Edinburgh, as he was formally known, had been heightened after he recently spent a month in hospital for treatment.

He left the hospital on March 16 following what was described as a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition and treatment for an unspecified infection.

He was first admitted on February 16 on the advice of his doctor after he complained of feeling unwell.

Philip had returned to Windsor Castle, west of London, where he had been isolating with the queen — Britain’s longest-serving monarch — since the start of the coronavirus pandemic last year.

He was due to turn 100 in June.

The news of his death saw television channels interrupt regular programmes and start special coverage marking his life.

The BBC announced his death and played the national anthem, “God Save the Queen”.

Philip had increasingly struggled with his health in recent years and had retired from public life.

In the run-up to Christmas 2011, Philip was taken to hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains.

The Greek-born former naval officer was then treated for a blocked coronary artery and had a stent fitted

Share this post
Continue Reading

News

Buhari Approves Appointment Of Usman Alkali As Acting IGP

Published

on

Buhari Approves Appointment Of Usman Alkali As Acting IGP Pointloaded

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of DIG Usman Alkali Baba as acting Inspector General of police.

He immediately replaces Mohammed Abubakar Adamu.

The Minister of Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi disclosed this to State House correspondents on Tuesday.

The president had on the 4th of February, extended the tenure of Mohammed Adamu as the Inspector General of Police for three months out of which the erstwhile police boss spent two months and three days.

READ ALSO:Lawmaker Advocates Use Of Traditional Institution To Fight Insecurity

According to the minister, Baba’s appointment was carefully made, after the president considered issues of professionalism, competence, and numerous years of service.

The president urged DIG Usman Alkali Baba to among other things ensure that policing reform policies are fully prioritized to engender peace across the country.

Born on 1st March 1963 in Gaidam, Yobe State, the acting IGP enlisted in the Nigeria Police on 15th March 1988.

He was until his appointment a Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Criminal Investigation Department, Force Headquarters.

He holds a Teacher’s Grade II Certificate (TC II) from Teachers College, Potiskum, Yobe State in 1980.

He obtained a BA (ED) in Political Science from Bayero University, Kano in 1985.

The Acting IGP also has a Masters in Public Administration (MPA) obtained from the University of Maiduguri, Borno State in 1997.

As part of his policing vision, he aims to enhance police primacy in Nigeria through the provision of motivational and credible leadership, directed at stabilizing internal security and modernizing police operations, facilities and standards within the framework of citizens, consent, trust, and the rule of law.

Share this post
Continue Reading