The Kogi State Government has announced the reopening of schools at all levels on September 14, 2020, including primary, secondary and tertiary institutions in the state.
The State’s Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Hon. Wemi Jones, FCIB, made the announcement at a press briefing in Lokoja on Tuesday.
According to the Commissioner, the State Government arrived at this decision after series of interaction with the relevant stakeholders and assessment of both private and public schools in the state to ascertain their level of preparedness and safety for reopening of schools from Covid-19 break.
”You will recall that His Excellency, Gov. Yahaya Bello, had directed the closure of all schools from primary to tertiary institutions in the state from March 23rd, 2020, because of the ravaging Covid-19 pandemic.
‘’Subsequently, upon the directive of the Federal Ministry of Education, exit classes were opened for Primary 6, JSS3 and SS3 in Kogi on August 10, 2020, to particularly allow the SS3 classes to prepare and write the WAEC examination.
”Therefore, upon further review having had several meetings with relevant stakeholders, His Excellency has directed that all schools in Kogi State should fully reopen on September 14, 2020, that is two weeks from today”, he said.
The Commissioner stressed that the state government arrived at this decision after assessing the situations of schools especially for the exit classes that had resumed, saying ”we have not recorded any negative report as far as Covid-19 pandemic is concerned”.
”Hence, His Excellency deemed it fit for every school to open for full academic activities.
He, however, advised and encouraged all heads of every school to ensure full compliance with the Covid-19 protocols which had been clearly set out by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19.
He noted that all these details and guidelines on Covid-19 protocols by PTF were available and in public space.
”The ministry will review the state’s Academic Calendar accordingly to reflect on the new development, and the details would be worked out and released to the relevant stakeholders in due course before resumption.
”However, we encouraged that all relevant educational stakeholders like ANCOPSS, ASSUS, SUBEB, NAPPS, Heads of Tertiary Institutions in Kogi State, NUT, STETSCOM and every other stakeholders are very free to liaise with us at the ministry for further clarification.
”We are equally informing the general public, parents, guardians, schools heads that we are very particular about the health and safety of our learners in Kogi State.
”So, the State Government will not stop at anything to ensure that our learners are kept in good condition as far as Covid-19 pandemic and indeed other diseases or health issues are concerned”, he said.
He encouraged everyone to play their roles to ensure personal hygiene reiterating that personal hygiene remained the personal responsibility of everybody.
”For the higher institutions, I have personally placed direct telephone calls to the heads of all state’s tertiary institutions and I had discussions with them to ascertain their level of preparedness.
It appears that all of them are fully ready for schools’ reopening.
”We have equally asked them to get in touch with the ministry should there be any further requirements in order for them to make their institutions safe for the benefit of students and staff,” the Commissioner said.
JAMB Resolves Technical Glitches, Resumes Registration For 2021 UTME And DE
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has resolved the technical glitches which informed its postponement of registration earlier in the month.
Pointloaded recalls that the exam body on Thursday, last week, announced the suspension of the registration to integrate the use of the National Identification Number, NIN in its registration process.
However, Head, Media and Protocol of JAMB, Dr. Fabian Benjamin says the processes have been perfected and that students can now access its site and register.
‘’We have commenced full registration of candidates for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE) into tertiary education institutions in the country.’’
“It was only put on hold to resolve the technical glitches. Registration is now in full swing,” the JAMB spokesman said, adding that some candidates have successfully registered for the examinations.
JAMB Halts 2021 UTME/Direct Entry Registration
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has put on hold the registration for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE) which was billed to commence on Thursday, April 8, 2021.
A statement by the Head of Media and Protocol of JAMB, Dr. Fabian Benjamin in Abuja says the delay follows the exam body’s effort to ensure that candidates have access to its registration app for the 2021 UTME/DE and also finalise work on its pin vending process before the take-off of the exercise.
The exam body advised prospective candidates to follow up on advertisements for the 2021 registration exercise to understand the steps involved and the actual date of the registration exercise.
The statement reads ‘’The Board’s registration exercise was to begin 8th April,2021. To be sure all processes are completed before the commencement, the Board didn’t placed its advertorial as it was yet to complete the process of a smooth pin vending and candidate access to the registration app for the 2021 UTME/DE.
The advertisement is the surest indication of the beginning of the exercise as it has all the step by step process that candidates are required to follow.
However, this delay is caused by some unforeseen circumstances occasioned by our determined effort to have a NIN integration. This challenge is being resolved and once that is done, all processes shall commence.
Candidates are therefore requested to exercise some patience.
The process shall be up and running shortly for our advertisement to be rollout so that candidates can begin the creation of profile’’.
WAEC Announces Date To Conduct 2021 WASSCE
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has announced the date to conduct the 2021 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for school candidates.
This year’s WASSCE, which was earlier scheduled for May/June, will now take place from August 16 to September 30, the Head of Public Affairs of WAEC Office in Nigeria, Demianus Ojijeogu, revealed in a statement on Friday.
He added that the international timetable for the conduct of the examination would be released in due course.
Ojijeogu explained that the new dates announced by the examination body was in line with the current academic calendar and was done in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Education.
He noted the controversy triggered by the address of the Head of National Office, Patrick Areghan, at a press briefing to announce the release of results of the 2021 first series of the WASSCE for private candidates on Tuesday.
The examination body’s spokesman decried that the national office head was wrongly quoted to have said that WACE had postponed the 2021 WASSCE.
Areghan, at the briefing, had said the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic were still very much felt in the education sector, and the academic calendar had been distorted.
According to him, these factors have made it not to be possible to have the examination in May/June as earlier scheduled.
Reacting to the controversy trailing the remarks of the national office head, Ojijeogu stated that Areghan was quoted out of context.
Announcing the results of the WASSCE for private candidates, WAEC said a total of 7,690 candidates entered for the examination, representing a 38 per cent decline when compared with the 2020 figure.
Of the figure, 2,195 candidates, representing 30.11 per cent obtained credits and above in a minimum of five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.
“The number of candidates that had five credits, including English Language and Mathematics may not necessarily be a basis for judging the level of performance in the examination,” Areghan had said.
He explained that this was because the examination was more or less a remedial one, and some candidates may just need only one or two papers, other than English Language and /or Mathematics to remedy their admission deficiencies.